Dog and cats who reside with in the Cottage Grove city limits must be licensed.  All dogs using the city's dog park must have a current license.

The pet owner can obtain an animal license by mailing in an application (Click here to download a pet license application) or by going to the City Hall, Public Safety Department (Police), 12800 Ravine Parkway S., Cottage Grove, MN 55016

Call 651-458-2850 with questions.


  • Purchase a license in the Public Safety Department at City Hall, 12800 Ravine Parkway S.
  • Normal business hours, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
  • Payment options are cash or check only; credit cards are not accepted.
  • Proof of rabies vaccination must be provided when purchasing the license.


  • All dogs and cats over the age of six (6) months must be vaccinated against rabies and receive an annual license.
  • The license fee is $15 per calendar year for an altered dog or cat, or $20 per calendar for a dog or cat that is not spayed or neutered.
  • Renewal forms are mailed to owners in November each year. The renewal due date is December 31.
  • Late fees of $2.50 per month are assessed beginning January 1.
  • Fees are prorated throughout the year for new animals.
  • Payment options are cash (not by mail) or check only; credit cards are not accepted.

Multiple Animal Licenses

  • No more than a total of three (3) dogs and cats can be maintained at a residence.
  • To temporarily receive permission to maintain more than three dogs and/or cats, a Multiple Animal License must be obtained. Cottage Grove City Code limits the total number of dogs and/or cats under a Multiple Animal License to five (5).
  • Maintaining a breeding/boarding/training kennel in a single-family residential zoning district, or in any other zoning district without a conditional use permit, is prohibited.
  • Call 651-458-2850 for more information.


There are several city ordinances that address pets and pet licensing in Cottage Grove. They can be can be viewed online by going to the Sterling Codifier web site and going to Title 5- Police Regulations and then Chapter 4 - Animal Control.

Wild or Exotic Animals

Keeping any animal that is normally considered wild, ferocious, or vicious by nature, is prohibited, and defined in City Code 5-4-1.


  • Who needs to be licensed?
    Dogs and cats
  • Does my pet need rabies shot in order to be licensed?
    Yes, unless they have a written note from their vet stating that the animal cannot have the shot for medical reasons. (Usually due to an aging or ill animal)
  • At what age does my animal need to be licensed?
    Six (6) months old or older
  • How many animals am I allowed to have in one residence?
  • What is the monthly late fee?
    $2.50 per month
  • When do tags expire?
    December 31 of the year on the tag
  • Does my animal have to wear the tag?
    Yes, the tag should be worn by a licensed dog or cat.
  • How many years can an animal owner get a license for?
    This depends on when the rabies expire. The city offers a one, two and three year license.
  • What if the license is lost?
    The owner can buy a replacement one for $4.00.
  • What if the CG animal owner moves to a different CG address?
    We will switch that license over, no charge.
  • What if the animal owner buys a license and the pet dies before the license expires? Can they get a refund or transfer the license to another pet?
  • Can a license be put in a person’s name under the age of 18?
  • Does the city offer a discount for seniors?



Share this post

Submit to FacebookSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn